The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1916
Stronghurst Graphic, Feb. 10, 1916
DIE ONLY 12 HOURS APART: Within the brief space of about 12 hours the messenger of death knocked at the doors of two homes in the village and called there from two of the oldest and best known citizens. In both cases the call was sudden and unexpected with the announcement of each coming as a shock to the community.
On Sabbath evening while the church goers were on their way to the various houses of worship in the village, the word was circulated about the streets that Mr. William Wilsher had passed away at his home in the east part of town as the result of an attack of illness which came on at about 2 o'clock that afternoon.
Medical aid had been summoned and the patient made easier with the indications pointing to a recovery within a short time. At about 7 o'clock, however, an attack of heart failure occurred and the sufferer passed away before the physician could again reach his bedside.
On the following morning while the sudden summons which had come to Mr. Wilsher was still engaging the thoughts of many people, the word was circulated that Mr. Geo. J. Morgan had passed away at 7:30 a.m. while seated in a rocker beside the stove in his home on Mary Street.
Mr. Morgan had been suffering from what was apparently a case of LaGrippe (pneumonia), but his condition did not seem to be especially serious and after taking breakfast in bed that morning, he felt strong enough to arise and dress, going out into the sitting room and seating himself in a rocker beside the stove. In a few minutes of feeling suddenly weak, he passed away before medical aid could be summoned.
GEORGE J. MORGAN: George J. Morgan was born in Monmouthshire, England, April 4th, 1840 and when seven years of age came with his parents, Thomas and Mary Morgan, to American in 1848.The family lived in New York for two years and then journeyed to Henderson County. George was educated in the public schools and in 1858 he crossed the plains to California where he remained for 3 years and then returned to his home here.
On Jan.1, 1862 he enlisted in Co.G. of the 10th Illinois Volunteers and after serving one year was honorably discharge because of sunstroke. He took part in the battle of Corinth, Island No.10 and Tiptonville besides numerous skirmishes.
On Nov.12, 1863 he married Sarah Richards, a native of Pennsylvania and the daughter of Wm. and Harriet Richards. To this union five daughters and two sons were born: Anna, Ella, Thomas, George, Mary, Maggie and Pearl. Thomas, Ella and Mary are residents of Stronghurst; George R. lives on the farm formerly owned by the deceased in Terre Haute Township and Mrs. Maggie McKinley lives in Colorado. Anna and Pearl have passed away.
Mr. Morgan was a resident of Stronghurst since it was started, moving from the farm in Terre Haute Township 27 years ago. He had held the office of Justice of Peace in Terre Haute Township for 15 years previous to his moving to Stronghurst where he was honored with the same office as well as that of Notary Public.
During his career as a public official he acquired a very extensive acquaintanceship throughout this section of Illinois and few men were better known.
He was known for his intense loyalty to the flag which he helped preserved and defend during the dark days of the early sixties and he was never happier than when engaged in some work through which that flag and the memory of his comrades in arms might be honored.
He took special delight in drilling each year a company of little girls to take part in the ceremony of decorating the graves of his fallen comrades on Memorial days. When Geo. M.Evans Post No. 695, Grand Army of the Republic (organization of Union veterans of the Civil War) was organized March 8, 1890, Mr. Morgan was selected as post commander and he continued active in its affairs until death had thinned the membership to that extent that it was no longer possible to maintain an organization.
To "Squire Morgan" as he was most often called, belonged the honor of originating the movement by which the village obtained the big memorial cannon which now stands mounted at the northwest entrance of the village park.
This eight ton piece of ordinance was a gift from the government to the Geo.M.Evans Post. Perhaps no prouder moment was in his life than on 19th of July 1912 in the presence of a vast throng he presented this memorial gun to the village on behalf of the post.
He was a faithful member of the M.E.Church of which he became affiliated in 1864. Funeral services were conducted at the M.E.Church with interment in the village cemetery. In addition to the wife and five children, Mr. Morgan is survived by one sister and ten grandchildren.
1891 Graphic: E.B.Campbell was preparing to move to Stronghurst to engage in the grain buying business. A series of revival meeting conducted by Rev. Holmes of the M. E. Church were brought to a close.
Dr. H. B. Harter who had been pursuing his veterinarian studies in Chicago was visiting his brother, Dr. I. F. Harter, with a view of locating his practice in town. R. L.Taylor of Raritan was to be a partner of R. B. Miller in the new store to be opened up in the Dixson Building. Mr. August Danielson and Miss Mary Carson were married on Feb.7th. Walter Simonson and Miss Artie Stanley were married Feb.10, 1891. The attempt by the Farmers Alliance to establish a branch locally failed through lack of interest on the part of farmers in the area.
EARLY TOWNSMAN DIES: William Wilsher was born at Moorland, Somersetshire, England, in 1846. He spent the first 25 years of his life in his homeland where he became a successful lumber dealer. He came to Henderson County in 1871 and engaged in farming near what is now the village of Stronghurst. He then went to California but remained there only a short time and on his return resumed farming and stock raising.
He married in 1875 to Mary Nichols, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Nichols of Olena Township and to this union were born two children, Frank and Nettie, who both live in Stronghurst. His wife passed away July 16, 1913 and on August 2, 1914 Mr. Wilsher married Katherine A Stitt, who survives.
Mr. Wilsher was quite a public spirited man and while plain and every day in his manner was a lover of the artistic and beautiful. He was honest, mindful of others, wise and discreet as a financier. He was one of the directors of the State Bank of Stronghurst. He was a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. Funeral services were conducted at the home with interment in the village cemetery. (List of relatives and pall bearers given)
FIREMAN'S FAIR: A fair will be given by the Fire Department in the Lyric Theatre for the purpose of raising funds to meet the expense of the fire company which is a volunteer organization. All money that has been raised previously has been spent for hose and equipment for the department, they just having paid half the cost of 800 feet of hose and a cart costing $489. There will be a program after which donations will be sold at auction.
LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Oscar Campbell has purchased a house on E. Main Street from Mrs. Mary Dodds. Gerald Fort had the misfortune to drop a large chunk of ice on his foot. Dixson has galvanized hog troughs for sale. Wm. Daugherty has been confined to his home for two days by an attack of the Grippe. Mr. Marion Rodman has disposed of his fraying outfit and business to Mr. Oliver Wolford and intends to move to Missouri. R.W.Upton reports the sale of the Arthur Dowell farm to Lewis Dalton who will move there the first of March. His brother Elmer will occupy his farm. At the morning services at the U.P.Church last Sabbath, 23 new members were received-17 by profession and 6 by letter.
The girls of the high school held a candy sale in the basement of the school and netted about $10. The proceeds will be used to purchase new records for the Victorla.
Mrs. Belle Peterson has rented Hotel Hughes and will succeed J.H.Buchard who will go on a farm in Missouri. John Simonson returned from northern Iowa where he purchased a car load of cattle which he will feed. Mrs. Fred McKinley of Las Animas, Colorado arrived on No.8, called by the death of her father, George J. Morgan.
Miss Maude McKeown resigned her position of teaching Stanley School and left for Ottumwa, Iowa where she will continue in teaching. She was replaced by Miss Marie Mudd. Postmaster J.F.Mains disposed of his residence in Stronghurst to Mrs. Anna Lant who intends to move from the farm north of town to the village next spring.
The L.Burg Carriage Co. now has some repainted automobiles on display at their factory in Dallas City. (In recent years this building housed the Riverview Supper Club before it burned.)
While on his way home, village marshal John Francen slipped and fell upon the icy sidewalk and received an ugly gash in the back part of his head. After being assisted to his feet by a passerby and continuing his journey, he again fell and badly bruised and wrenched one leg. His injuries kept him confined to the house for several days.
In Media Miss Nettie Wicks, who has been quite sick with quinsy, is now suffering from a gathering in her ear. (She had a bad sore throat and it gave her an ear ache.) Misses Faree and Eurie Mathers had the misfortune to have their Ford automobile burn up last Sabbath morning.
While Raymond was starting the engine, it in some way caught fire and was almost entirely destroyed. The loss was partially covered by insurance.
GLADSTONE GLEANINGS: Mr. and Mrs. Fred Dutton went to Burlington to attend the opera at the Grand. Mrs. J. L. Duvall and Mrs. C.Allburg attended the lodge at the Moose Hall there. A Washington's birthday entertainment will be held at the school featuring coffee, cake and pie. Proceeds will go to help pay for the piano recently purchased.
OLENA OBSERVATIONS: The Olena M.E.congregation accepted the offer of the U.P.congregation to make an even exchange of churches and church properties. As there are many needed repairs to put this church in a condition that a house should be kept, subscription papers are being circulated. Some repairs needed are a new roof, some plastering, papering throughout, new windows, painting and repairing the furnace.
Young Dean Burrell is very sick with articular rheumatism. Miss Golden Booten is a victim of scarlet fever. Grant White is shelling corn for Jesse Hicks which will be shipped to Chicago. Calvin Lant has returned home from three years of serving Uncle Sam. The three Misses Leinbaughs connected with the M.E.Church. Mr. and Mrs. S.H. Lant are moving to the Harry Marshall place.
OQUAWKA OCCURRENCES: Ebner Thomas and Miss Ethel Turner were united in marriage at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Turner. The groom is the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. C.L.Thomas east of town is also a successful young farmer and a member of the M.E.Sabbath School. The bride is the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Turner north of town and a faithful member of the M.E.Church where she teaches in the Sabbath school. The couple left for Michigan and on their return. will make their home on the C.L.Thomas farm east of town.
Hon. Wm. H. Hartzell of Carthage has been retained by the Baptist church members in regards to their recent trouble with their pastor. John Morehead had the misfortune to fall on the ice in his yard and dislocate his shoulder. Mrs. John Ricketts is suffering from a badly sprained ankle caused by a fall on the ice. Mrs. Frank Boden entertained the Elite Club at her home with whist and a delicious supper.
Miss Kate Sandstrom of Reed fell and broke her thigh. Minor Clifton who suffered a paralytic stroke some two months ago will be taken to a hospital in Quincy for treatment. Emil Jern and Miss Hazel Decker were united in marriage at the M.E.parsonage.
Mr. Jern is employed in the Robert Hodson store. The couple will make their home with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Albert Jern.