The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1915
Stronghurst Graphic, Feb. 25, 1915
DEATH ENTERS HOME: Mr. Samuel Steel Rankin, the son of James and Elizabeth (Brown) Rankin was born in Park County, Ind., May 3, 1830 and departed this life at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Pogue, Feb. 20th. His parents emigrated to this county by means of wagons when he was but eight years of age, settling in a log cabin in the woods near what was afterwards the site of the Ellison or "Walnut Grove" church.
The family soon removed to the farm 3 miles south of Biggsville which Mr. Rankin afterward owned and on which he lived until the death of his wife, 16 years ago.
In the spring of 1854 he was united in marriage to Caroline Carothers and to this union were born seven children, all of whom survive their father, viz Mrs. Laurence E. Pogue of Stronghurst; Mrs. Harriet Ann Allison of Stronghurst; Mrs. Mary Eleanor Thompson of Riverside, Calif.; Chas. E.Rankin of Des Moines, Ia.; Ralph W. Rankin of Lakewood, N. Mex.; John Wesley Rankin of Stronghurst and Laura Jeanette McArthur of Newton, Kan.
The deceased is also survived by one brother, William of Long Beach, Calif., and two sisters, Mrs. Martha Spears who lives in Idaho and Mrs. Rachel Campbell of Biggsville, Ill.
Mr. Rankin united in early manhood with the Bethel Associate Church and became a United Presbyterian. He remained consistent and devoted member of that church until his death. In early life Mr. Rankin passed through the privations and hardships incident to life of the Illinois pioneer, but by economy, industry and thrift was enabled to lay up a competency for his latter years, being the possessor of a beautiful farm of 400 acres at the time he retired from active labor and came to live with his daughter...
Funeral services were conducted at the home over his remains and interment was made in the old Ellison or Walnut Grove Cemetery.
MARION EDWARD FORT DIES: Marion E. Fort was the son of J. Marion and Sarah (Gaddis) Fort and was born on the farm 1 1/2 miles southwest of Stronghurst March 2, 1879. He grew to manhood on this farm. After graduating from the Stronghurst High School, he spent several months in Iowa. About nine years ago he and his father became interested in the farming prospect presented in the Pecos Valley, New Mexico. Ed decided to take up his residence there on some land which he had purchased. He remained there for seven years at the end of which time he disposed of his holdings and purchased a tract of land in Louisiana.
About the same time, he came back to the old home and it soon became known that he was suffering from some serious malady affecting his internal organs. He sought relief from some of the most eminent specialists in this country, but the disease, which was found to be a cancer of the stomach and liver, baffled all medical skill and gradually sapped the strength and vitality from him...Mr. Fort is survived by his mother, three brothers, H. Burnham and W. Chalmers who live at home and Gerald Q. of Stronghurst, and by one sister, Anna who is also at home. His father, J. Marion Fort, died a little less than a year ago and a sister Eugenia died in 1909. Funeral services were conducted at the Stronghurst U.P.Church and interment was in the family lot in the village cemetery.
1890 Graphic: Newt Jones was smiling over the counters of Putney's northside emporium.(He was clerking in a store.) A debate at the literary society over the respective qualities of Grant and Lee as generals came near bringing about a pitched battle on the streets after the meeting had closed. Mr. and Mrs. S.V.Simonson celebrated their 36 wedding anniversary on Feb.22nd. About 80 young friends helped Walter Dobbin celebrate his birthday at a jolly party held at his home. Alexander Marshall of Hopper's Mills married Miss Carrie Speck of Oquawka.
LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Miss Ella Brokaw who teaches the school two miles southwest of Raritan was unable to attend to her duties there on account of a gathered head. (A headache, I presume.) Dallas City people are considerably stirred up over the discovery of a human skeleton found about two feet below the surface of the ground in a lot just across the road from the Riverside Hotel.
The remains have evidently been buried there for many years and it is thought they may be that of a woman by the name of Lizzie Clark who disappeared mysteriously something like 40 years ago and has never been heard of since. The Stronghurst State Bank has installed a new check filing cabinet by means of which the paid checks of each individual depositor can be furnished him at a moment's notice. Albin Walker Edward Johnson and Oscar Fred Emanuel Johnson were granted their naturalization papers by circuit clerk Martin who was in town on that date.
After spending something over a week's time in attempting to straighten the hole so that the first 200 feet of casing in the village water supply well could be set plumb, the drillers gave up the job and preparations are now being made to start a new hole several feet from the old one.
Frank Nemick, the Media barber, has sold out to Mr. Cyrus Tilley and will start for Colorado. Mr. Tilley has opened up a shop in the Weaver building on the south side of the street.