The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1921 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, Feb. 23, 1922

HE BECAME A GAS & OIL MAN: Frank J. Silsbee, now a resident of Shreveport, La. made a brief visit with his mother in Stronghurst. Since leaving town Frank has had quite a varied experience and is now regarded as one of the best informed men in the gas and oil business in the whole country. His first experience was in Texas. He improved his time and opportunities there, but the climate did not agree with him and he next turned up in Los Angeles, where he became publisher of a journal devoted to the oil business. It was while thus engaged he was called to Washington during the World War to give the government the benefit of his knowledge and experience in doping it out to the oil men. After the war closed, Franks' services were engaged by an association of wealthy men in New York, who had extensive business interests in Mexico and Frank was made secretary. This proved a very desirable business connection; but what Frank considered the chance of a lifetime and more to his liking was an opportunity that came to him at Shreveport, La., which he accepted and where he is now connected with one of the strongest oil and gas companies in the country. He says that Louisiana is now the center of the greatest natural gas field in the world. He stopped here while returning from a business trip to New York City. Speaking of present activities in the gas and oil line at Stronghurst, Frank stated that it was impossible to foresee the out come. He remarked that the opinions of experts and geologists were always considered valuable, but the drill is the only infallible test. He was obliged to cut his visit short here on account of receiving a telegram asking him to get back to Shreveport at the earliest date possible.

***OBITUARY***WRIGHT CHASE: Mr. Wright Chase, a former well known resident of Stronghurst was born in New York in 1840 being the youngest of a family of six brothers and two sisters. He died at the home of his only child, Roscoe Chase in Sioux City, Ia. on Feb. 15, 1922, aged 82 years. The deceased came to Illinois when a young man and was employed on various farms in the vicinity of what is now the village of Phelps in Warren County, When the Civil War broke out, he was amongst the first from this section of the state to enlist. He became attached to the sharpshooters division of the 66th Ill. Infantry which he served throughout the war. When discharged from service, he returned to Warren Count and lived for a time in the vicinity of Monmouth.

He was amongst the first to take advantage of the soldier land claim act and proved up on a tract of land in the vicinity of Wichita, Kansas. Here he married and made his home for about 25 years. He then came with his family to Stronghurst and purchased property and made his home here for about 7 years. About 8 years ago he and his wife returned to Wichita where the latter died in 1916. Since that time Mr. Chase has lived with his son Roscoe at Sioux City. He is survived by his son and one brother, John Chase, familiarly known to the people of Stronghurst as "Grandpa Chase" and who now makes his home in Burlington, Ia.

The deceased was a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic-Civil War veterans group). Funeral service and interment were held at Wichita, Kans. (Obituary furnished by his nephew, R.B. Chase of Burlington, Iowa.)

***OBITUARY***JULIA ELAINE SCOTT: Julia Elaine Scott, only daughter of Mrs. Effie (Long)Scott, was born near Olena, Ill. on July 1, 1916 and passed away after a very brief illness of malignant diphtheria at the home of her grandmother, Mrs. Emily Long, on Jan. 25, 1922, aged 6 years, 4 months and 24 days.

Dr. Lauver, the attending physician, first diagnosed the case as membranous croup, but as the little sufferer grew worse a consultation of physicians composed by Dr. Lauver, Dr. Marshall of Stronghurst and Drs. Cooper and Weghman of Burlington decided it was diphtheria in the worst form and that an operation was the only thing that could prolong life. After the operation was made, the little one rallied and hopes were entertained for her recovery, but in a short time these hopes were blasted, for the spirit of Elaine had passed over to be with Him who said, "Suffer the little ones and forbid them not to come unto me for of such is the kingdom of Heaven." Her passing is mourned by her mother, two grandmothers, one great-grandmother, several uncles and aunts and cousins and many of her playmates as this was her first year in school. She was said to be a very bright pupil. Brief funeral services were held in the Olena Cemetery where the little one was laid to rest.

BRIDAL SHOWER: From the Monmouth Atlas: "Mrs. Eldon Nelson of Blandinsville proved herself a charming hostess Saturday afternoon when she entertained with a miscellaneous shower in honor of Miss Alice O'Leary of Monmouth whose marriage to Hollis Links of Stronghurst will take place soon. During the afternoon towels were hemmed for the bride-to-be and Mrs. Mary Keane received the prize for finishing hers first. In a heart contest Mrs. John Callow was awarded the honors. The guest of honor received many useful gifts which were presented to her in a cleverly decorated express wagon, which an unknown driver had abandoned at the Nelson home. A dainty and attractive luncheon was served and each guest was presented with a favor suitable to the occasion.