The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1921 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, Dec. 29, 1921

THIRD AT STATE: Fred Painter, the young son of Mr. and Mrs. C.C. Painter of Terre Haute Township, who represented Henderson County in the state spelling contest for grade and grammar school pupils at Springfield won third place. Forty-four contestants from many different counties competed, but only four correctly spelled the first list of 325 words thus qualifying them for the finals. Winner of the contest was Blake Henderson of Fulton County which is but 12 years of age-the youngest of the group of four.

SUDDEN DEATH OF MRS. SARAH WOOD: Mrs. Sarah Wood, who has of late made her home with Eschol Houtchens and family on the G. S. VanDoren farm southeast of Stronghurst, passed away suddenly on Dec. 24th. Mrs. Wood's death was due to apoplexy, the stroke coming upon her shortly after she had partaken of a hearty meal at the Raritan Opera House where the Baptist people were giving a Christmas dinner. She and her sister, Mrs. Tobe Butler of this vicinity were in the Perrine store at Raritan when she felt the illness coming on. The two women started at once for the VanDoren home and upon their arrival, Mrs. Wood lapsed quickly into unconsciousness which terminated in death at about 7 o'clock that evening.

Funeral services were held in the Raritan M. E. Church. Mrs. Wood is survived by two brothers, Fletcher Houtchens of Missoula, Mont. and George L. Houtchens of Carthage, Ill; one sister, Mrs. Tobe Butler of this vicinity; four half sisters, Mrs. Homer Justice, Mrs. Hattie Black and Mrs. Ollie Sawyer of this place and Mrs. H. Rose of Whiting, Ind.; one half brother, Roy Houtchens of Niota, Ill. and by her step-mother, Mrs. Retta Houtchens of this place.

The deceased was the widow of Hugh E. Wood of Point Pleasant Township, Warren County, who was killed in an automobile accident at Kirkwood on August 12, 1917. Her age at the time of her death was 56 years and 16 days.

KILLED IN A RUNAWAY: Charles Dover, manager of the Miller and Dover dairy near Dallas City was killed last Monday when a team of horses attached to a wagon loaded with block wood and being driven by Mr. Dover ran away and overturned the wagon. Dover alighted heavily on his head and received injuries which caused the blood to gush from his mouth and ears and render him unconscious. He died while being hurried to a physician in Dallas. Mr. Dover was 34 years of age and leaves a wife and four small children.

CHEATED DEATH: The carelessness of the engineer of a freight train last Monday evening in stopping the train on the Broadway crossing when an automobile was approaching from the south came near resulting in a serious accident. But for the fact that the particular car which covered the crossing was of heavy construction and connected with the rest of the train by strong coupling, it might have been torn loose and thrown to the side and converted into a mass of wreckage. As the damage to the freight car was slight, the auto sustained a few minor injuries such as a smashed radiator, fender, broken lights, a bent axle, and broken windshield, etc.

The auto was an Essex roadster belonging to H. N. Vaughan of this place. The driver and sole occupant was Morgan Parish, who was bound somewhere on an errand, the importance of which no doubt justified him in believing that he was entitled to a clear right of way with all switches spiked and regular traffic sidetracked. We have not heard the engineer's side of the story, but have the word of reliable witnesses that Morgan sounded no horn on approaching the crossing and gave the engineer no warning of the danger to which his train was exposed. We have also been told that Morgan claims he did not know the train was on the crossing since he was unable to see over the top of the dash of the automobile. This suggest the thought that there should be a law passed requiring automobile manufacturers to construct their cars in such a manner as to permit an unobstructed view of the roadway by small people or little children who may be driving them.

It might also be well to agitate the question of having a law passed requiring railroad companies to place "Stop, Look and Listen" signs by the side of their tracks several hundred feet from each grade crossing. (If he couldn't see over the dash, he would not be able to see any sign. No age of the driver is given.)

1896 GRAPHIC: The 17th anniversary of the marriage of Dr. and Mrs. I. F. Harter was happily celebrated by a number of invited guests. Thurman D. Steffey and Miss Molly Perry were united in marriage at the Baptist parsonage in Stronghurst on Dec. 30th. Mrs. Carrie Lant of Gladstone vicinity died on Dec. 29th. Mrs. Sylvester Burrell passed away at her home near Olena on Dec. 29th at the age of 61 years. J. W. Shook of Smithshire had engaged in the mercantile business at Decorra. Mrs. Jane Hicks, an old resident of Hopper neighborhood passed away on Dec. 19th.

***OBITUARY***MISS ANNA PORTER: Miss Anna Porter died very suddenly from apoplexy at her home in Gladstone Township, 6 1/2 miles northwest of Stronghurst on Dec. 27th. She was found in an unconscious condition by her sister-in-law, Mrs. James Porter, who immediately summoned a physician, but death occurred before his arrival. Miss Porter was about 50 years of age and had spent her entire life on the old homestead farm where she died. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Alex Porter were pioneer residents of the vicinity. She is survived by her one brother, James; one sister, Mrs. C. E. Lant; three half brothers, John of Gladstone Township, Frank of Gladstone and Wilson of Colorado; and by three half sisters, Mrs. D. A. Whiteman of Monmouth, Mrs. Alice McDougal of Chariton, Ia., and Mrs. Laura Postlewaite of Tarkio, Mo. Funeral services were held at the home with interment in the South Henderson Cemetery.