The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
Green-eyed Cash Cat, a fiberglass feline decorated by Dianna Duncan, resides in the lobby of the Bank of Stronghurst and urges everyone to read the Henderson County Reads selection for 2013, Dewey, the Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World.
Always a supporter of local projects, the Bank of Stronghurst was organized in 1946 when a group of merchants headed by Clarence E. Neff where permitted to sell 350 shares of common stock for $150 per share.
Bank stock was not easy to sell at that time as many of the potential investors still had unpleasant memories of being assessed for additional funds even after losing their original stock in the two previous banks that had failed in Stronghurst. Eventually, 163 subscribers had purchased all the shares and the bank opened for business on April 27, 1946.
For eighteen years the bank occupied the old bank building located on the corner of Main and Broadway, but in 1964 a new building was erected just east of the old one. Through the years additions have been added including office space plus installation of Stronghurst's first Automated Teller Machine.
1996, the bank decided to increase their market area by opening a branch in Lomax. In 2004 a branch was added in Dallas City and in 2005 a third branch opened in Little York. Who are the friendly faces you meet at the bank? Charles E. Vaughn, President & C.E.O.; Jerry W. Keimig, Senior Vice President & Farm Loan Officer; Rodney Brake, Executive Vice President & Cashier; Shawn McKoon, Vice President; Stacie Newberry, Vice President; Josh DeSotel, Loan Officer; Brenda Brokaw, Secretary; Dianna Duncan, Cathy Schaefer, Barbara Logan, Kimberly Norris, Rashele Gordon, Sydney Kline, Tracy Jones, Sandra Mullen, Tellers; Sharen Burrell, Chris Lung; Betty Waterman, Carolyn Nelson, Bookkeepers; and Margaret Vancil, Custodian are all there to serve you at the various locations.
Henderson County Reads salutes the Bank of Stronghurst for their support and interest in insuring that Henderson County is a great place to live.