The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
On Tuesday, November 19, 2013, the West Central CUSD #235 Board of Education conducted their regularly scheduled meeting.
The meeting of the Board of Education was called to order at 6 pm in the elementary cafeteria. All board members except Mr. Buss were present at roll call.
As a result of this meeting the following items took place:
1. President Brent then led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag.
2. Under good news items the following successes were highlighted:
3. The board approved the agenda with the addition of Items XVC-2. Employment, Mary Ashby as district substitute nurse and XVD-5. Employment of Vicky Tapscott as 7th grade volleyball coach.
4. There was no one present who wished to address the board on any agenda items.
5. The board approved the consent agenda. Items approved under the consent agenda included: Minutes of the October 16, 2013 regular meeting; the October 30, 2013 special meeting; the November 5, 2013 special meeting; the October 30 and November 5, 2013 closed sessions;
6. Under financial activity, the board approved payment of all bills as presented. The board approved the October 2013 activity accounts for West Central High School, West Central Middle School and West Central Elementary School. The board also approved the treasurer's report for October 2013 as presented.
7.The board discussed the 2013 tax levy. The Board was given several documents for review as part of their board packet. Included in those documents were an EAV history by County since tax year 2004 a tax levy requested vs revenue extended documents since the 2004 tax year and four different possible tax scenarios for them to consider. Supt. Grimm reviewed with the board each of those four tax levy scenarios and what they would mean to the district in terms of new revenue. Following the review, the board voted to put on display a tentative tax levy that has an extension amount of $4,534,539 which is an increase of $355,966 of local property tax money to the district. This figures represents an approximate 8% increase in the 2012 levy extension amount. A Truth in Taxation Hearing will be scheduled to provide the public an opportunity to provide the board input into this proposed tax levy request.
8. The board approved the lease agreement with Midwest Bus Sales for school buses for the 2014-15 school year. This lease agreement calls for the District to lease 18-2015 71 passenger Thomas Safe-T-Liner busses at the annual lease amount of $12,970 per bus and 1 - 2014 20 passenger Chevy/Thomas Minotour bus at the lease price of $13,950. These annual lease amounts are the same amounts that the district paid for FY13.
9. The board approved a memorandum of understanding with the WCATS organization concerning the district's speech/language therapist position.
10. The board reviewed and approved bowling guidelines for the 2013-2014 season as presented.
11. The board approved the submission of the 2013 school maintenance grant application to the Illinois State Board of Education for the amount of $50,000. This is a matching grant program that all Illinois districts who submit should have funded as long as the local district can match the grant amount. The board was informed that West Central used for their matching dollars some of the proceeds from the recently completed health/life safety bond sale.
12. The board heard reports from Building leaders, Mrs. Lafary, Mr. Nichols, and Mr. Schneider.
13.Supt. Grimm reviewed with the board his curriculum report.
14.The board reviewed the district's technology report submitted by Mrs. Frakes and the special education report submitted by Mrs. Farniok.
15.There were no discussion items on the agenda for the month of November.
16. There were no future discussion items by the board.
17. The board went into closed session to discuss matters pertaining to personnel at approximately 7:12 pm. They exited closed session at approximately 8:30 pm.
18. Due to the resignation of Dr. Roberta Robbins, who was the Board's President, Dr. Lonnie Brent assumed the President's position. The board briefly discussed whether or not they wished to nominate and elect a new Vice President and ultimately they decided that they needed to nominate and elect a Vice President. Jodi Arnold was nominated and elected to serve as the Board's Vice President.
19. The board then took the following personnel action:
20. The board was reminded that their next meeting is Wednesday, December 18, 2013 beginning at 6 pm in the elementary cafeteria.
21. There being no other business to come before the board, the board adjourned their meeting at 8:32 pm.