The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.

The 1921 Graphic

Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross

Stronghurst Graphic, July 21, 1921

***OBITUARY***CLARENCE TULLSEN: Clarence Tullsen who was a resident of Stronghurst several years ago and had many friends in this vicinity, died on July 13th at Chicago where he had made his home for the past two years. His illness was of short duration, the cause of his death being typhoid fever. With him at the time of his death were his wife and sister, Miss Nina Tullsen, who with other relatives and friends had done all that loving care could suggest to bring about his restoration to health.

Mr. Tullsen was born at Alton, Ill. October 12, 1881 and was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Tullsen. Most of his early life was spent in Wataga, Ill., where he moved with his parents in boyhood. About 15 years ago he came to Stronghurst and for a year or two was operator for a grain commission firm in Chicago. On April 22, 1908 he united in marriage to Miss Lois Lovitt, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. D. Lovitt. Following their marriage, the couple moved to Galesburg where for 10 years Mr. Tullsen was operator for a Chicago grain firm. About two years ago he went to Chicago where he was connected as operator with the grain commission firm of Logan and Bryan.

The deceased is survived by his wife, both parents and the following brothers and sisters: Herbert Tullsen of Grand Haven Mich.; Stanley Tullson of Milwaukee, Wis.; Mrs. William Thomas of Galesburg; Nina Tullsen of Chicago and Dora at home. Funeral service were held in the Wataga M. E. Church. Relatives and friends from Stronghurst present at the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. H. D. Lovitt; Mr. and Mrs. Meredith Lovitt; Mr. and Mrs. Earl Beardsley; Mr. and Mrs. C.R. Kaiser; Mr. and Mrs. A. F. Kaiser and Erma Kaiser.

***OBITUARY***EVELYN EILENE FORDYCE: Evelyn Eilene Fordyce, the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wilbur Fordyce of Terre Haute neighborhood, died last Saturday at the age of 3 months and 10 days. Funeral services were held in the Terre Haute church.

WEDDING BELLS: ANNEGERS-MCMILLAN: Announcements of the marriage of Miss Martha McMillen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. T. McMillen of DeLand, Illinois to John H. Annegers of Stronghurst on July 16th at Peoria were received here this week. (Bride's last name spelled two ways.) The ceremony was performed in the Hale Memorial Church in Peoria.

The couple left for an extended trip to the Northwest including Yellowstone Park, Vancouver, an ocean voyage to Alaska and returning via Lang, Saskatchewan, Canada where Mr. Annegers' wheat land is located.

Mrs. Annegers is a woman of unusual refinement and education, having taught the past few years in the public schools of Wenona and Chicago. Mr. Annegers is a man of sterling character and had the highest regard of everyone in this vicinity and among his many friends in Canada. The couple will be home to their many friends after September 15th at 1014 N. Seminary St., Galesburg, Illinois.

HE DROWNED: The remains of Ernest Reese, the 10 year old son of Mrs. Beulah Reese of Media, were interred in the cemetery following services at the Media M. E. Church. Since the death of the father several years ago, the boy had been an inmate of an orphanage located at Mooseheart, Ill. and he met his death through drowning at that place on July 15th.

HUBAN CLOVER RAISED: Experiments in raising Huban clover is being carried out by E. G. Lewis of Media Township. Mr. Lewis used a drill in planting the seed last spring and he has had a large force of men and boys employed recently in weeding and had cultivating the crop.

(From the Monmouth Atlas) "Perhaps the largest acreage of Hubam Clover being grown in this part of the state is in Henderson County on the E. G. Lewis and associates who have 30 acres of Hubam growing from seed. The crop was seeded on April 15th and was almost two feet high on June 22nd and on this very day an article appeared in the Drovers Journal stating that there were about 4,000 acres growing in the United States. Should these 4,000 acres produce five bushels per acre, it would only be enough to seed Warren County. . .E. G. Lewis says, "While Kanred Wheat brought into the county by their company and others has made thousands of dollars for the farmers of Henderson and Warren Counties, he feels that Hubam Clover promises even greater results. Hubam Clover bids fair to make good on $500 land. (Name of clover spelled two ways.)

LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: Chris Apt of Terre Haute is attending summer normal at Macomb; Miss Fannie Cooper is staying with the Apt family in his absence. John Voorhees, who is a railroad employee out of Peoria and his brother Joe of Toluca, Ill. spent part of the week with their uncle, J. H. Voorhees at his farm southeast of town. Mr. and Mrs. Ivan Carter, who were called here by the illness and death of Mrs. Carter's mother, Mrs. J. H. Voorhees, have returned to Springfield, Mo. where Mr. Carter has employment with a firm of Hereford cattle breeders who are conditioning a number of animals for the fall cattle shows. C. B. Vaughn of Lomax, who has been in the Burlington Hospital with a badly infected foot, is reported to be much improved. Roy Fisher, son of Mrs. G. W. Fisher of Roseville, formerly of this place and Miss Katherine Little of Little York, Ill., were married at Monmouth; they will reside in Roseville where Mr. Fisher is engaged in the grocery business.

1896 GRAPHIC: C. J. Victor Johnson of Stronghurst died on July 21st from injuries received during the previous week when he was kicked and trampled by a cow. J. N. Derr, the former Henderson County man wanted for forgery at Monmouth, was arrested at Cripple Creek, Colo. Monmouth Township in Warren County has decided to construct 3,000 feet of hard road running west from the city to the township line, a width of seven feet in the middle of the road to be paved with brick and a strip of three feet on each side of the brick to be built of crushed stone. Wm. Wright returned here after an extended visit to his old home in Pennsylvania. The Misses Jennie Hellier, Hortense Harbinson, Annis Drew and Bessie Graham had been employed as teachers in the Stronghurst School for the coming year.