The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
Special Meetings of the WC CUSD #235 Board of Education
At a special meeting of the West Central Community Unit School District #235 Board of Education held on Thursday, June 2, 2011 the following items took place:
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m. by Board President Lonnie Brent. All board members were present except Dr. Robbins at roll call.
The board approved a three-year contract with the West Central Association of Teachers and Staff as presented. The highlights of this contract are as follows:
- This is a three year contract effective July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2014.
- The salary increases are year 1 - 2.25%, year 2 - 2.25% and year 3 - 2%. The percentages listed include the step.
- Increases on the extra curricular schedule are year 1 - 1%, year 2 - 1% and year 3 - 2%.
The board agreed to the following items
- The number of bereavement days was increased from 2 to 3 per year.
- The amount of graduate credit reimbursement was increased from $1000 to $2000 for certified staff and from $650 to $1000 for support staff per year. The board also agreed to include books and fees as part of the reimbursable expenses that this money could be used for.
- The board agreed to a one time payment of $1000 to any certified teacher who achieves National Board Certification status.
- The board agreed to a new retirement incentive for certified staff and the board agreed to make this incentive apply for three years as opposed to two years.
- The board agreed to wording on how to properly reduce and/or bump a member of the support staff should the need arise in the future.
- The addition of the following positions on the extra duty schedule: WCHS Spanish Club, WCMS Assistant/Co Speech, WCMS Assistant/Co Play Director, and equalized stipend for WCMS vocal and instrumental music.
The WCATS agreed to the following items:
- The number of personal days that may be taken throughout the district on any one day cannot exceed five.
- Agreement was reached on language addressing temporary leave situations which have occurred throughout the district in the past.
- The support staff retirement incentive was dropped from the contract.
- The memorandum of understanding #9 - SIP Team Stipends - was allowed to expire.
- The association agreed to the wording on the support staff bump/rif as previously outlined.
- The association agreed to extend the tech coordinators extended contract with final details for this extension to be worked out.
In addition, the following language items were addressed:
- Clarification was provided in the section dealing with staff members being present for after hour events.
- It was clarified that FMLA leave runs concurrent with sick leave.
- An additional wording was added to the support staff mileage section so that it is consistent with the certified staff mileage section.
- The section on overtime was clarified to reflect that overtime is based on hours actually worked as compared to hours paid.
- Wording on when an employee's final paycheck will be available was clarified.
- There were some other cosmetic changes made to reflect changes in dates and other things such as this.
Under personnel, the board took the following action:
- Accepted the retirement of Rose Wetterling as a WCES teacher effective at the end of the 2010-11 school year;
- Employed Tara Hanson as the Assistant WCES Principal. Mrs. Hanson is employed on a one-year contract with a base salary of $50,000. Mrs. Hanson's duties will begin on August 1, 2011.
- Employed Jesse Hart as a WCES Enrichment Sponsor;
- Employed Amanda Hennenfent as a summer school special education teacher;
- Employed Terri Copeland, Roger Kerfoot and AJ Brasel as part time summer custodians;
- Accepted the resignation of Shelley Morrison as WCMS 8th grade girls' basketball coach;
- Accepted the resignation of Jeremy Burrell as WCMS and WCHS head baseball coach;
- Accepted the resignation of Chris Winters as WCMS assistant baseball coach;
- Employed Marci Patterson as WCMS co-speech coach;
- Adjusted the summer technology workers pay rate to $8.25 per hour;
- Approved a document outlining the terms of an extended contract for the district technology coordinator.
The board briefly discussed the exempt staff salaries for FY12. Supt Grimm informed the board that there would be a closed session at the June 15th board meeting to discuss these prior to asking the board to vote on these recommendations in open session.
The board briefly discussed canceling the July 2011 board meeting. After a brief conversation, the board decided to cancel this meeting.
The board briefly reviewed the FY12 extra curricular and extra duty sponsor list. Again, the board was reminded that this list will be discussed during closed session at the June 15, 2011 board meeting and then acted upon in open session.
The board discussed at length the possible addition of softball as a fall middle school sport. As a result of this conversation, the board asked Supt Grimm to look into this further and bring a recommendation back to the June 15, 2011 board meeting.
The board was reminded that their next meeting is Wednesday, June 15, 2011 beginning at 7 p.m. and will be held in the elementary cafeteria.
The board adjourned at approximately 7:40 p.m.