The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
West Central Special Board Meeting
Thursday, January 7, 2010
During a special meeting of the West Central CUSD #235 Education Board last Thursday, Board President Lonnie Brent called the meeting to order in the unit office conference room with all members present at roll call except Mrs. Goff.
Members reviewed a series of proposed revisions to existing board policies as recommended by the IASB PRESS Policy Service. Following discussion of the policies, the board took the following action:
A. Approved a motion to waive first reading of the proposed revision to policy 2:200, Types of Board Meetings and policy 2:250, Access to District Public Records.
B. Approved a motion to approve the proposed revision to policy 2:200, Types of Board Meetings and policy 2:250, Access to District Public Records on second reading. The proposed revisions are considered adopted as presented. These two policies deal with changes to the Open Meetings Act and the Freedom of Information Act both of which took effect on January 1, 2010.
C. Approved on first reading, proposed revisions to the following board policies:
1. Policy 4:110 Operational Services - Transportation
2. Policy 4:150 Operations Services - Facility Management and Building Programs
3. Policy 4:160 Operational Services - Environmental Quality of Buildings and Grounds
4. Policy 5:10 General Personnel - Equal Employment Opportunity and Recruitment
5. Policy 6:20 Instruction - School Year Calendar and Day
6. Policy 6:50 Instruction - School Wellness
7. Policy 6:60 Instruction - Curriculum Content
8. Policy 7:10 Students - Equal Educational Opportunities
9. Policy 7:20 Students - Harassment of Students Prohibited
10. Policy 7:180 Students - Preventing Bullying, Intimidation, and Harassment
11. Policy 8:70 Community Relations - Accommodating Individuals with Disabilities
The board discussed at great length the district's participation in the ISBE Federal Race to the Top grant application after which they approved the recommendation to submit a Race to the Top Memorandum of Understanding on behalf of the district. It is due to ISBE by the end of the day on Jan. 11, 2010. The district's MOU was submitted on Fri., Jan. 8.
The board entered closed session to discuss matters pertaining to personnel and the purchase, sale or lease of real property. No action was taken after the board exited closed session and the board adjourned the special meeting at approximately 9:05 p.m.