The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
Compiled and Edited by Virginia Ross
Registrar for Daniel McMillan Chapter, N.S.D.A.R.1920
Stronghurst Graphic, July 29, 1920
FORMER STRONGHURST CITIZEN, A BENEDICT: Dr. and Mrs. Harter were surprised by the receipt of a card announcing the marriage of their bachelor nephew, Joseph F. Slusher of Sabetha, Kansas. Some of the older citizens will remember Mr. Slusher as the first assistant Postmaster of Stronghurst when the office was located in a 12 ft. x 18 ft. building on Lot 2, block 15. Dr. Harter had a private office and a stock of groceries in the same building. Mr. C. E. Fort well remembers the time and place when he plodded from home through the mud with his rubber waders for his daily mail. He found Mr. Slushier waiting upon two or three customers. The size of Mr. Fort's boots attracted attention. Mr. Slushier suggested that Mr. Fort have a chair and project his feet through the only window and make room for more customers. His old friends wish him happiness and prosperity.
A BIG CELEBRATION: About 300 members and adherents of the United Presbyterian congregation met at the church on Saturday evening, July 24th and partook of the splendid dinner served by the ladies of the congregation in the newly completed dining room. A chicken pie dinner with all the good things which go with it was dispensed with after which a social hour was enjoyed during which time piano music was furnished by Miss Evelyn Fort, a vocal solo by Miss Alice Wax, accompanied by Nina Bell Rankin, violinist and Miss Fort, pianist. Miss Francis Worley read, "Sweet Day of Rest" and Charles Fort, in his very pleasing manner, sang a solo. R. W. Upton read a statement of the expense of repairs and C. R. A. Marshall reported a sum of $2,700 subscribed.
OBITUARY: MRS. L. R. THOMPSON: Lovinia R. Thompson, formerly a well known resident of Stronghurst died at her home in Burlington, Ia, July 22nd at the ripe old age of 82 years, 3 months and 27 days. About eight weeks before she was stricken with paralysis; she rallied and made some progress toward recovery but on July 4th her strength began to fail and from that date her decline was gradual until death came to her relief.
Mrs. Thompson was the daughter of Thomas and Lavina Nichols and was born in Ohio March 28, 1837. At the age of three years she came with the family to Illinois, her father purchasing the farm now owned by A. R. Brooks a mile west of Stronghurst. She was a member of a family of five children, all of whom are now dead except one, Mrs. Martha Hearst of Salina, Kan. Those who passed on before were Mrs. Alexander Mains, Mrs. Harriet Chesney, Mrs. R.P. Randall and Thomas Vance Nichols. On Oct. 11, 1864 she married James Thompson and to them was born three children: Rose of Burlington, Ia; Mrs. Fannie Stoike, whose death occurred in Washington a number of years ago; and Mrs. B. A. Randall of Keosauqua, Iowa.
For many years the family home was on the farm now owned and occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Charles O'Gren. The husband and father died about 20 years ago and in 1911 Mrs. Thompson and daughter, Miss Rose, disposed of their interest here and moved to Burlington, Iowa. The deceased was a life long member of the U.P. Church and funeral services were conducted by her pastor, Rev. McElhinney in the U.P. Church in Stronghurst with interment in the Stronghurst Cemetery.
OBITUARY:MRS. ROBT. MARSHALL: Anne Retzer, daughter of Geo. Retzer and Catherine King, was born near Mechanics Grove, Lancaster County, Pa Nov. 25, 1837. She came with her parents, brothers, and sisters to Hancock County in 1855. In 1856 the family moved to Henderson County. On Nov. 7, 1872 she married Robt. W. Marshall who passed away June 10, 1915. Two children were born to them, Mierma May and George Retzer, who with other relatives and friends are left to mourn her.
***OBITUARY***MRS. ANNA SCHROEDER: Anna Margaret, oldest daughter of Philip and Marie Schroeder,w as born in Mendon, Germany, Nov. 16, 1850 and died in her home in Stronghurst, Ill., July 26, 1920. Her parents came to America when she was a very small child, landing at New York City settling near Buffalo, New York state. They stayed there for 12 years and then moved to Iowa not far from Burlington. Mrs. Schroeder lived in Burlington during the time of her young womanhood at which time she met the young man of the same name but of no blood relation. She was married to John Henry Schroeder May 19, 1870 to which union six children were born: Edward L., now deceased; Mrs. Clara Dowell, Stronghurst, Ill.; Mrs. Lulu Simpson, deceased; John H., Barlett, Iowa; Geo. W., Gladstone, Ill; and Oscar, Stronghurst. Besides the immediate family there are 24 grandchildren and two sisters, Mrs. Ella Gourling of Indianola, Ia., and Mrs. Amelia Morris of Fairfield, Ia., still living. Her husband died March 13, 1894.
In their early married life Mr. and Mrs. Schroeder lived at Hopper Mills where they ran the mill for a time after which he engaged in merchandise and farming. About 1912 they moved to Stronghurst which has been the home of Mrs. Schroeder ever since. In her late illness she has been very tenderly cared for by her grand daughter, Miss Vera Simpson, who has made her home with her grandmother since the death of her own mother. Mrs. Schroeder was converted in her early childhood and joined the M.E. church to which faith she has held to the last. Funeral services were conducted at the Stronghurst M. E. Church with interment in the Burlington Cemetery.
***WEDDING BELLS***HUSTON-FRANK: Frank Crenshaw Huston of the south country and Miss Margaret Frank of Monmouth were united in marriage at the home of the bride's mother, Mrs. Margaret Frank in Monmouth July 26th. The ceremony was witnessed by the immediate family only. Miss Frank has spent most of her young life in Monmouth where she received her education and preparation for teaching. During the past year she has held the position as teacher of the Old Bedford School and has made her home with Mr. Huston's mother on the farm nearby.
Mr. Huston is the grandson of Frank Crenshaw and was born on the old Crenshaw homestead south of town. His life has been spent in or near La Harpe with the exception of four years spent in Seattle, Wash. with his aunt, Mrs. E. W. Bell. He has developed the ability as a young farmer and will take his bride to the farm home eight miles south of Stronghurst where they will be at home to their friends after Aug. 15th.
THEY CRASHED! The past week has been a very unfortunate one for auto drivers about town. On Friday last Ralph Knutstrom who was driving a Republic truck crashed into the Ed Chandler car at the Kirby corner with the result that both were slightly damaged. The newly oiled streets made it difficult for the drivers to control their cars. On Monday the George Warren car and the Marion Evans truck collided at the Joseph Dixson corner south of town causing considerable damage and only miraculously averting a fatality. On Tuesday afternoon as Miss Martha Davis was driving into town at the R. R. crossing, a freight train was passing and when the track appeared to be clear, she again started across the track behind the McMillan poultry truck which had also been waiting. Just as she was on the track, she saw a fast train approaching within a short distance and in an effort to clear the track, hit the truck, damaging the front door of her car quite extensively, but fortunately escaped being hit by the passing train.
NEW RESIDENCES NEAR RARITAN: Mr. and Mrs. A. Buell Corzatt, whose home 1-2 miles west of Raritan was burned, are replacing it with a neat, modern two-story residence. The Dan Crist home 1-2 miles west of this location, which also replaced one destroyed by fire, adds much to the appearance of that locality.
PAINT UP TIME: Will Stine's beautiful new home and Bert Moore's cozy bungalow are nearing completion. Messars Hicks and Dobbs are having substantial repairs made on their homes. The homes of L. A. Wilson, John Gilliland, Ralph Staley and the M.E. parsonage as well has the harness shop and garage of Mr. Hurpdert(?) have just received a coat of paint. The Pete Bainter farm home presents a neat appearance in its new coat of white paint. Stronghurst painters have done all this work.
ACT OF HEROISM: C. O. Barnes, a lineman of the People's Electric Lighting Co. of Burlington had 2300 volts of electricity shot through his body when his watch came in contact with a live wire during some repairing. A guardsman, James Webb, saw the contact and reaching out, threw the unconscious body of his comrade away from the wire until help came to the rescue. The body was at once taken to Mercy hospital where consciousness was restored and the patient recovered in a short time.
1895 Graphic: The music pupils of Miss Effie Slater, assisted by Miss Mary Barnes, violinist of Biggsville, gave a recital at the U.P. Church. A two day grand tournament of races held by the Stronghurst driving Club promised a long list of amusements at the race track and park. (This featured driving horses.) Kirkwood was having a very discouraging time with their new well. Nearly $10,000 had been spent for a system of waterworks and the town was yet without any benefit. The well diggers had given up the project and gone home. Work on Mrs. W. H. Penny's new $3,000 residence on east Main Street was commenced. Crop reports from Iowa and Illinois were immense. James Butler reports a yield of 66 bushels of oats per acre. Many fields were yielding more than 100 bushels of oats per acre. Corn was reported at 105 per cent of an average. The Harvest Home Festival under the auspices of the U. P. Church was being held at the Santa Fe Park in Stronghurst. The home talent play, "A Bad Egg" was booked for the Miller & Taylor opera house. The cast included J. W. Gordon, C. E Fort, W. J. Clark, S. W. Carothers, W. C. Ivins, W.J. McElhinney, J. F. Mains, Mrs. Nora Carothers and Miss Hortense Harbison.
LOCAL AND AREA NEWS: C. C. Butler of Galesburg is superintending the remodeling of his farm home in the south country. The Graphic office force enjoyed a box of Royal Ann cherries from Seattle, Washington packed for them by Mr. E. W. Bell. The Monday livestock shipment to the Chicago market from Stronghurst were Fort & Simonson-two carloads of hogs and butcher stuff; R. A. McKeown-one car load of hogs for the Farmers Co-op Shipping Association; Elbridge Fort-one car load of hogs; Asa Wassom-one car of hogs; and Art McKeown-two cars of hogs for F. C. Association. Lyman Ross and Chas. Heisler were in Kansas City buying cattle. Messrs Roy Mudd, Dewain Rezner, Clifford McKewon and Will Reedy left for Indianapolis, Ind. to bring back four touring cars and two trucks for the Johnson & Co. Garage. Geo. Hunike of Burlington, Ia. drove into town and finding barriers across many of the newly oiled streets became disgusted with the village laws and attempted to take matters into his own hands. After throwing the ropes aside he drove through and left the rope down. This seeming neglect convinced street commissioner Sutliff that it was time to collect tribute; Mr. Hunike paid his fine and left town. Little Miss Lucile Parish was operated upon for appendicitis in the Burlington Hospital. Stratton bridge contractors are at work on the bridge just west of Raritan which was damaged by the June storm. Mr. Mullin, a brakeman on the local freight, received a very painful injury to his foot and ankle while switching in the yards here. He was taken to Dr. Marshall's office where the injured limb was treated and he was sent to his home in Chillicothe. Up to July 19th Dr. R. P. Frans, D.V. has established a record for treating hogs. Up to the middle of the month nearly 3,000 hogs were vaccinated. Last year in July Dr. Frans treated less than 1,000 hogs; he says that farmers are beginning to realize the value of protecting their hogs against disease. The Dallas City Chautauqua went behind $300, but the guarantors decided to hold one next year. Sarah Mc Elhinney, Margie Thompson, Ethel Hartquist, Audrey Rezner and Marie Mudd have returned from taking a six weeks Normal course at Bloomington, Ill. (summer school for teachers) Emmet Cleveland of Raritan, who is seeking relief at the health sanatoriums of Arizona, returned there after a visit with his parents.
Friends of Mrs. Ferrin of Dallas will regret to learn of her death at the Burlington Hospital. Tom Morgan left for the Mudiavia, Indiana health resort where he will take treatments. Mrs. Morgan and nephew, Lyle Christian, drove with him as far as Collison, Ill. where they will visit Mrs. Morgan's sister, Mrs. John Christian. Lyman Taylor is receiving the thanks of the Community Club women or decorating the flower boxes in front of the club rooms. The bright green boxes of blossoms are certainly appreciated by all who pass on Broadway. The following Masonic brothers of Stronghurst attended the ceremonies of laying the corner stone of the new Masonic temple in Burlington: E. R. Grandey, Geo. Dixson, Joe Peasley, Algert Nolen, Walter Nolan, A. E. Wetterling, J. F. McMillan, Albert Kaiser, John McGovern, I. F. Harter, G. W. Worley, Fred Gray, G. C. Rehling, J. Saunders, R. Butler, Guy Leinbach, W. C. Regan and others. Mrs. Florence Patterson of the Oquawka Journal staff underwent a surgical operation at Burlington Hospital; she is making a satisfactory recovery. The Economy Manufacturing Co. of Lomax, Ill., began the manufacture of 50,000 brooms for the U. S. government; five experts are at work on the order.
OBITUARY: CHARLES H. SCHENCK: The funeral of Charles H. Schenck, 16 months old son of Mr. and Mrs. C. S. Schenck, was held at Raritan. The child had been afflicted from birth with spinal disease. The little fellow was unable to use his limbs and kept one position all of his life. Specialists were consulted, but could give no relief. The patient care of his fond parents and those who grew to love him, made his life less hard, but God's messenger came as the only relief from this suffering on July 21st. Besides his parents and baby brother, he is survived by his grandmother, Mrs. Elizabeth Schenck and her daughters, Misses Loretta and Luella and great grandmother, Mrs. Lydia Schenck, who is now nearing her 90th birthday.
BIGGSVILLE BRIEFS: Mrs. Herbert Jamison, Mrs. W. B. Jamison of Burlington and Mrs. Smith of Kirkwood left for Seattle, Washington where they will visit a sister. Wm. Cochran who has been in the Burlington hospital with an infected finger was able to come home. Miss Anna Burrus left for Macomb where she will attend the Normal there for six weeks. Both Mrs. John Dixon and Mrs. Harry Myers are on the sick list. Both Mrs. Irena Zimmerman and H. O. Garrity, who have been ill, are reported better. Rev. C. C. French of Monmouth will preach Sabbath morning at the U. P. Church in absence of Dr. Douglass.
OBITUARY: SANFORD RUSSELL: On July 19th Sanford Russell, a brother of Mrs. George Deitrick with whom he had been making his home, passed away after a very brief illness of acute indigestion. His children, who reside in Burlington, were notified and came immediately. He leaves two sister and four children to mourn his death. Funeral services were conducted in the Olena Church with burial in the Olena Cemetery.
OLENA OBSERVATIONS: Rev. Russell announced that the last quarterly conference would be held in Biggsville. Those who are delinquent on salary will greatly oblige the stewards of the church by sending in their money by that time. C.H. Curry has added a new silo to his farm home adjoining the village. Charles A. Witterman of Hopper has been wielding the paint brush on the Peter Dahl home. The Peterson brothers have begun threshing in this neighborhood. Mr. and Mrs. Alex Marshall are planning a trip to Yellowstone Park. Mrs. Coppage of Emerson, Iowa, while visiting here, had her niece, Mrs. Laura Lant, take a few snapshot pictures of the two brick buildings in Hopper, formerly owned by the Hopper families. Mrs. Coppage was asked to secure these for one of the Wesley Hopper girls whose home is also in Emerson, Iowa. Mrs. Charles Jacob and several small children came near having what might have proved a very serious accident. Their horse seemed to have turned or backed in such a manner as to cause the buggy to upset throwing the occupants out and hurt some of the children. A wheel of the rig was broken so that they had to leave the buggy and secure another was of getting home.