The Hancock-Henderson Quill, Inc.
EARLY METHODIST CHURCHES IN OLENA PRECINCT: In 1848 the Methodist society became a part of the Oquawka circuit. The pioneer Methodists of Olena first worshipped two miles east of the village at the home of William Cowden in 1857 and for some years continued regular gatherings from house to house. From 1860 to 1879 Olena was headquarters of the circuit, the place of residence for the preacher. Early times were marked by many great revivals, converts sometimes numbering hundreds.
At an early date those residing in the southern part of the township determined to establish an undenominational church as a place of worship. Early in the movement were John Evans, Jr., Andrew J. Davis, H.H.Strodtman and Herman Annegers. They erected a church for $1,500 in which services by ministers of various denominations were held.
1911 History of Henderson County